Past Episodes on iplayer

Problems using the boards? Need to ask a question? Ask here!

If you need to send us an email, the address is support@catchupsupport.co.uk

Past Episodes on iplayer

Postby psmith » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Can anyone explain why when you search for a program on iplayer it doesn't automatically list ALL the episodes available. Eg. If you search "Bad Education" in the "Search iplayer" box on the BBC iplayer homepage it just gives you the most recent one Episode 3 with no option to view previous episodes. So you may think none of the previous episodes are available... However if I google search "Bad Education" I can be taken to the BBC3 iplayer page where it lists ALL the previous episodes and all of them are in fact still viewable on iplayer.
psmith

Re: Past Episodes on iplayer

Postby matt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi,
The series possibly hasn't properly been set as Series Catch-up so past episodes aren't showing in search results.

Usually when a programme is on Series Catch-up, search results show the most recent 3 with a show more button underneath if there are more than that.
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby psmith » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks for coming back to me. How does a series get to be on Series Catch-up? Is it just me or is the filing /search facility on iplayer not particularly user friendly?

I mean the content of iplayer is very comprehensive in that all programmes shown on the BBC are there for 1 week and all episodes of a series are supposed to be there until 1 week after the last of the series is shown, which is much better than More 4 etc where only a random selection of programmes are available, yet actually finding the episodes is not really that logical is it?
psmith

Postby matt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am

The BBC are restricted to only making a small percentage of programmes on iPlayer available on series catch-up. Also they need to have online rights to the series that allow them to do this.

The decision about which programmes should be stacked is probably partly based on popularity but I'm not really sure. The new series of Doctor Who will probably be stacked.

The search facility on iPlayer seems to work a lot of the time. Problems like you've found with Bad Education though are annoying.

If you search for "Gardeners' World" for example, the results will look like this.

There are currently 6 episodes available so you get the most recent 3 and the "more episodes" button which will expand the list to show the others as well.

Also with series stacking there is a limit of 13 episodes of a series available at any one time. So when a 14th episode is broadcast, the first one is removed from iPlayer.
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Past Episodes on iplayer

Postby MiusMarta » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am

I have a similar question.

I use the naming convention: Show name - 1x01 - Episode name

For multi part episodes I will rename the file to: Show name - 1x01x02 - Episode name

Usually i just leave the second episodes name off since it is easier. I cant figure out how to get this to work with TV Rename. I have edited the Filename Template Editor to this:

ShowName - SeasonxEpisodexEpisode2 - EpisodeName

However that causes the example to go red, and not pick up episode 1 under episode it just says 2. When I do the default template I get the following:

Show name - 1x01 - 1x02 - Episode Name 1 Episode Name 2

I dont think XBMC will pick that up when I do a scan I will have to test when I get home, as I am at work.

::EDIT:: Well I think I actually solved my own problem. I changed the RE from "a-zs??<s>0-9ex?<e>0-92,e0-92,a-z" to "a-zs??<s>0-9ex?<e>0-92,x0-92,a-z" and the red went away in the Filename template editor. Under the episode it still just says one, but I assume that is what it is supposed to say?
MiusMarta

Return to Help!