BBC iPlayer Desktop freezes

BBC iPlayer Desktop freezes

Postby TangoBravo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 pm

I am able to stream programmes without any problems. But the programmes I have downloaded will not play in BBC iPlayer Desktop without the picture 'sticking' frequently while the sound continues.

This has only started to happen recently. I have tried re-installing BBC iPlayer Desktop but no different.

Any ideas?
TangoBravo

Re: BBC iPlayer Desktop freezes

Postby purplezombie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:12 am

I have had the same problem 2 days running. Watching shadowline very frustrating as never happened before. Hope they fix this soon!Are you using Windows 7? i never had this problem on XP and have only just started using it.
purplezombie

Postby matt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 am

Hi,
When the picture freezes is this as soon as you start playing downloads back or is it a short while into the programme.

Does the computer seem to be struggling when it does this?
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby purplezombie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:28 am

Its on downloaded programmes. The first time it was 50 mins in the second time 30 mins. ive tried running it with no other programmes running and still have the same problem.
purplezombie

Postby matt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:59 am

If you rewind a bit after it freezes, does it play fine again and freeze in the same place or is the freezing random?

I wonder if maybe the graphics card in your computer is overheating while you're playing programmes back causing the freezing.
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby purplezombie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi I can play video fine through Itunes and skyplayer so i dont think its my graphics card. Once it has locked up at a particular place i can only go backwards on the video, if i go forwards it sticks with the same picture.
purplezombie

Postby TangoBravo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:10 pm

The programmes usually stick at numerous points - sometimes the problem rectifies itself at a cut to the next shot. Rewinding results in sticking at the same points with the same effects. Skipping ahead restarts the programme visuals if it the problem does not rectify itself.

I have been using iPlayer desktop for some time on this machine which runs Vista. This is a new problem. I have tried to update the graphics driver but I am told that I have the most recent version and that it is working OK.

The PC does seem to work hard sometimes but this does not seem to correlate to sticking in a directly obvious way.

Is it likely to be anything to do with the downloading of the programme files?
TangoBravo

Postby TangoBravo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:45 pm

BTW I am able to stream programmes on iPlayer in HD without any problems so maybe this means that it is nothing to do with my graphics card or the PC's ability to process information?

Also, I usually attain around 20mbs download speed from the internet and can download programmes to the iPlayer desktop very quickly so I think this suggests I should not be having problems with downloaded files.
TangoBravo

Postby onslowthecat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:06 am

TangoBravo wrote:BTW I am able to stream programmes on iPlayer in HD without any problems so maybe this means that it is nothing to do with my graphics card or the PC's ability to process information?

Have you got the latest Flash updates? And are you using Desktop in full screen mode with hardware acceleration on?

We had numerous posts on the now defunct iPlayer MBs where it's not just the graphics card but a combination of CPU AND GPU cards that are giving problems.

The BBC Line Test page (here) ----> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics seems to test both line speed and CPU/GPU capabilities. Might be worth running to see what the results are.

Can't see, however, why downloads and not streaming are a problem. My guess would be that the IPD/Flash combination are not fully updated, or you have a background task running as well. Try Task Manager to see what CPU you have available when the problems occur.
onslowthecat

Postby matt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 am

Hi TangoBravo,
Did this start happening with downloads after an update to Desktop or did it just start suddenly?

Is it likely to be anything to do with the downloading of the programme files?

It could be something to do with the download files themselves. On the old boards there were a few reports of similar problems to this that seemed to be sorted by deleting and re-downloading the programme.

To try this though you need to spot the problem while the programme is still available.

BTW I am able to stream programmes on iPlayer in HD without any problems so maybe this means that it is nothing to do with my graphics card or the PC's ability to process information?

iPlayer Desktop also relies on Adobe AIR so problems playing back downloads might have something to do with Desktop and AIR combination. Streaming from the iPlayer site doesn't use Adobe AIR so might behave differently.

Do downloaded HD programmes play back ok or do they still stick?

I think running the diagnostic test as onslow suggested above is also a good idea.
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to On a Computer